Here is an update Our 1969 Draft league that I pointed to on the primary blog is only a few weeks away from finishing which means that the 1970 season is almost upon us. So as my old datechguyblog.com is no longer active I thought I would put the explanation of how this league works for those who might be coming into it.
How the league is to be played
We will be playing the 1970 season under 1970 rules with one exception. There will be at least one interleague play to allow each player to play each other player at least one home and away series..
As soon as I have the number of teams confirmed (I’m presuming 20) I will begin to work on the schedule. While I don’t have to deal with the logistics of hotels and airports it still is a complicated matter to make it and will take some time to enter into the system. Please be patient with me as I do so. My goal will be to have the schedule ready before the draft.
Number of games:
The plan is to play a 162 game season I reserve the right to adjust that number up or down up to 10 games in order to make the schedule work. 162 is my target and 154 is my secondary target. All teams will have an equal number of home and away games and an equal number of games vs each opponent.
The number of game vs each opponent will be determined by the final number of teams in the league for the 1970 season. I will schedule at least one interleague series. The plan is to again have an unbalanced schedule so you will have more games in division than out.
Frequency of games
There will be two scheduled series per week. If we have issues with the schedule or an unbalanced number of teams I may have to tweak this.
Number of teams
We currently have 16 teams, I have firm commitments for three expansion teams and have have multiple inquiries for a 4th. If interest is high enough we may expand to the full 24 them that existed in 1970.
UPDATE one existing team (SF) has dropped out and one of the three expansion players (K Hazan) has decided to take it.
We current have two divisions in each league depending on the number of teams I may go to three divisions then number. In order to facilitate games I may adjust which teams are in which division so that people in the same time zone
Trades and waivers.
After the fifth series of the season teams may trade. Any player on the current roster may be traded along with any of the first five draft picks for the next season (currently 1973 BUT if either 1972 or 1971 is finished by Dynasty in time they will take precedent.) If a trade is made that increases a roster beyond the 35 man limit a player must be released before the next series is played. Any trades agreed will not be executed until all the teams involved have the same amount of games played.
Waivers takes place after the sixth series. Teams make waivers picked based on their current record and are made from the undrafted players not on rosters.. If a pick brings a Roster over 35 a player must be released or an injured player not on the DL must be placed there to make room.
Players on the DL do not count toward Roster limits. If a player comes off of the DL and brings the Roster of a team over the 35 man limit a player must be released or and injured player must be added to the DL before the next series is played.
All games must be completed before the next scheduled series. the Dynasty system will take over and auto play any games that are not completed one hour before the next scheduled game (even if said unfinished game is in progress) Players are encouraged to use the chat room and the Dynasty message system to reschedule games if needed and are also encouraged to make a manager profile in case a game has to autoplay. Instructions on how to do that are here.
Be aware that if you have your team on AUTO and your opponent requests a rescheduled in the system Dynasty will automatically allow it so keep this in mind when or if you turn auto on.
Expansion and Expansion draft
I have a firm commitment for three new players for expansion and have at least two players who have inquired about joining. The expansion rules will take place as follows:
Selecting a franchise:
New players will be allowed to select any of the currently open franchises for 1970 they are:
- Chicago White Sox (current player is moving to the Red Sox he made this request mid season and it was granted)
- California Angels Taken by S. Murray
- Kansas City Royals
- Detroit Tigers
- Philadelphia Phillies Taken by M Kennedy
- Chicago Cubs
- San Diego Padres
- Houston Astros
They will automatically gain the rights to any rookies for the 1970 team of that franchise.
Teams coming in expansion will pick franchises in the order that they confirmed their intent to join the league the current list is
- M Kennedy Picked Philadelphia
- S Murray Picked California
- K Hazan Took the existing SF Franchise
- J Messner Took the existing Cle Franchise
The next tentative player on this list is F Abboud (Declined)
If a current player expresses an intent to leave the league before the expansion draft the expansion players will in the order above be given the option of taking over that existing franchise including their roster and current draft picks (or lack thereof) K hazan SF J Messner Cle
At the end of the season each team will have two weeks to submit a list of protected players currently on their 35 man rosters. These players will not be eligible to be drafted in the expansion draft. There will be a maximum of 7 players on each teams protected list. it is recommended (but not required) to submit an additional twelve players to be protected once a player or two is drafted from their team.
Whenever a player is chosen off a team in the expansion draft said team will be able to immediately protect an additional five players. No team can lose more than three payers to the expansion draft. If a list is not submitted before the draft and not submitted at the time the first player is taken from the team then said team will not have additional players protected until such a list is provided. I will allow a reasonable amount of time in case the player is not in the chat room for me to try to contact said player before another player is takin from his team.
Expansion teams draft a minimum of four players and a maximum of 12 players to their rosters before the regular draft. The number of players picked in the expansion draft by an expansion team will determine where they will draft in the regular draft.
As soon as all expansion teams have completed their drafts two things happen
- All Rookies become property of their franchises and count toward their current rosters.
- All teams must submit the list of players retained in the regular draft. The players drafted by the expansion teams are considered to be that list.
Franchise locations and parks
Every team is presumed to have the park their team played in during the season they entered the league.
Franchises whose teams move in real life are not required to relocate their teams. So the Seattle Pilots are not required to move to Milwaukee and the Washington Senators are not required to move to Texas but they retain the option to do so at any time.
Franchises are NOT required to build new stadiums and my continue to play in their old stadiums if they wish. So Cincy can stay in Crosley field and Pittsburgh can remain in Forbes Field if they wish but they retain the right to move into those new stadiums at any time so another team my NOT select that stadium. If a team chooses to move into their new park in the same city the old park is considered demolished and no other team may use it from that point on.
A team may NOT move into a park that in a different city because the Dynasty system bases the weather on the park used NOT the city that a team’s label claims it is in. Thus if the Seattle Pilots want to play in Country Stadium they MUST move to Milwaukee
A team may NOT move into a park in the same city that belongs to a future franchise. Example. If the Seattle Pilots choose to remain in Seattle rather than move to Milwaukee they may NOT move into the Kingdome because it is reserved for the Mariners franchise when it becomes available.
A team MAY move into an old park from the same city under the following conditions:
- The park was once the home park of the franchise OR
- The franchise that once owned the park is now located in another city
- the Seattle Pilots move to Milwaukee the Mariners if taken MAY move into Sick Stadium.
- The Cardinals may move into sportsman park because it was once their old stadium.
- Both the Yankees and the Mets may move into the Polo Grounds because the park is in NY and both teams were once based there.
A “Rookie” is define as any player who did not have a card for the previous season.
A rookie is considered to be part of the team listed on their card reguardless of who they actually played their first game for (Dynasty lists cards based on who a player finishes a season with thus any rookie that was traded by an MLB team in his first season will have their card listed for the team they were traded to NOT the team they played their first game with.
All teams retain rights to their rookies prior to the draft and rookies for a franchise are not eligible to be drafted in any expansion draft.
A Rookie becomes a part of a team after said team names their protected players for the draft. They count toward the 35 man roster
Any team that doesn’t want to retain a rookie may release them before the draft to open up a roster spot but once release all rights to said player are surrendered.
Players retained list
All teams may retain a number of players based on their finish in the 1969 season as follows :
- World series winner 4 players (Mets/ Daytraders)
- World series runner up 5 players (Pilots)
- non-world series Division winners 6 players (Dodgers, Indians)
- Non division winning teams with the best & 2nd best record 7 players (Minnesota Montreal)
- Non division winning teams with the 3rd and 4th best records 8 players (Pittsburgh, Baltimore)
- Non division winning teams with the 5th and 6th best records 9 players (Oakland, Washington)
- Non division winning teams with the 7th and 8th best record 10 players (St. Louis , Chicago AL)
- Teams with the 3rd and 4th worst records 11 players (San Francisco, Cincinnati)
- Teams with the worst and 2nd worst record 12 players (Atlanta, Yankees)
NOTE: If a player on your current Roster does not have a card for the next season due to injury, military service etc but WILL the following year a team may choose to retain the rights to said player but will have to spend a protected spot for it and will have to keep a space for him all season.
Example: Rico Carty lead the AL in batting in 1970 but was out for all of 1971 due to injury. Presuming we play 1971 & 72 the team that holds Carty can choose to hold his rights when his season ends. He will pay 1971 with 34 players and in 1972 will hold the rights to Carty. If at any time he chooses to release him Carty will be considered a rookie for Atlanta Rookie because
- He had no card the previous year
- No team held his rights
- His 1972 card says “Atlanta”
In the example above if we don’t play the 1971 season but not the 72 Carty would be a rookie for the A’s because his 1973 dynasty card says Oakland
The draft order of teams will be the inverse of this list Expansion teams will be inserted based on the number of players they draft in the expansion draft inversely applies to the above list
- Worst team (12) Atlanta Braves
- 2nd worst team (12) NY Yankees
- Team(s) if any that draft only 4 players in the expansion
- 3rd wort team (11) San Francisco Seals (Giants)
- 4th worst team (11) Cin City (Cincinnati Reds)
- Team(s) that draft only 5 players in the expansion draft (if any)
- 5th worst team (10) St Louis Cardinals
- 6th worst team (10) Boston Red Sox (formally White Sox)
- Team(s) that draft only 6 players in the expansion draft (if any)
- 7th worst team (9) Washington Senators 2
- 8th worst team (9) Oakland A’s2
- Team (s) that draft only 7 players in the expansion draft (if any)
- 9th worst team (8) Pittsburgh Pirates
- 10th worst team (8) Baltimore Orioles
- Team(s) that draft only 8 players in the expansion draft (if any)
- 11th worst team (7) Montreal Nos Amours (Expos)1
- best non-playoff team( 7) Minnesota Twins1
- Team(s) that draft only 9 players in the expansion draft (if any)
- Division winning Pennant runner up with the worst record (6) Cleveland Indians
- Division winning Pennant runner up with the best record (6) LA Dodgers
- Team(s) that draft only 10 players in the expansion draft (if any)
- World series loser (5) Seattle Pilots
- Team(s) that draft only 11 players in the expansion draft (if any)
- Word series winner (4) New York Day Traders (Mets)
- Teams that draft 12 players in the expansion draft (if any)
1. Minnesota and Montreal finished with Identical records but Minnesota won the season series so they are considered the higher team
2. Washington and the A’s finished with identical records AND split their season series the next tie breaker is draft order and since the A’s drafted ahead of the Senators the previous year they are considered to be the higher team.
Example 1: S Murry takes California as their expansion team and drafts four players (Don Kessinger, Ron Fairley, Ken Berry and Blue Moon Odem and stops. Because he stops at four players the minimum he will draft 3rd after the two worst teams
Example 2: K Hazan takes Houston and drafts the maximum twelve players. Because he has taken the maximum he will draft after the world series winner.
Example 3: M Kennedy takes Philadelphia and drafts 8 players he will pick after the team with the 10th worst record in the 1969 season.
If two or more expansion teams draft the same number of players their draft position will be determined by a dice roll
When all teams have drafted that will be considered the end of a round and the next round will commence.
Teams will continue to draft in this order until:
- Their team reaches 35 men OR
- A team with 25 or more players on their roster voluntarily drops out
Once a team has dropped out of the draft they may not re-enter it and must increase their roster either through trades or waivers.
Draft on designated Draft day(s):
A date and time will be set for the initial rounds of the draft. It will almost certainly be a Saturday or Friday as those are the days I have off. All teams will be expected to be either:
- Available in the slack chat room (preferred)
- Available by phone
- With me in my home at the time of the draft
- Have a list of players to be drafted submitted
All currently players are presumed to have looked over the card(s) for 1970 online. All expansion teams are encouraged to start doing so at once.
- There will be one designated draft day per week.
- On a designated draft day a strict 5 minute limit will be allowed to make a pick.
- If a team misses their pick will be moved to after the next player on the list who will be considered on the clock and allowed to pick. Example Seattle misses their pick and Montreal is next, Montreal is allowed to pick and Seattle picks after them
- If a team who has been skipped has to be skipped twice their pick can be made any time before the end of the round. Example Washington is scheduled to pick 10th They miss their pick If they figure out who they want they can make a pick or submit a list any time before the end of the round and that pick will be valid.
- If a team that has been skipped has not picked by the end of the round then a pick will be made for them by me. Said pick will be the player from your franchise who played the most games that season based on their card. Example: Boston does not pick or submit a list for round 5 I will look at the Roster for the actual 1970 red sox to see who is available. If Billy Conligiliaro has the most game played among unpicked players he will be Boston draft pick. If Boston already has 6 outfielders that will not matter Billy C becomes the pick.
- The opening Scheduled draft days will go on for 100 picks. Other scheduled draft days will be 60 picks. Once the number of picks is reached the clock is turned off
BE AWARE THAT EVEN WITH A FIVE MINUTE LIMIT THAT CAN MEAN 100 MINUTES FOR 20 TEAMS TO PICK IN ONE ROUND. PLEASE DO YOUR BEST TO PREPARE FOR THE DRAFT TO CUT DOWN ON THE TIME REQUIRED. The more prepared everyone is the faster things will go.
Picks off the clock and on non-draft days
Once the clock is off a team has an unlimited time to make a pick. Picks can be submitted in the draft room or via the Dynasty message system or in person if the person picking is local or via the phone to me.
Once the pick is made and recorded on the draft sheet and the player moved to the roster I will announce the pick in the slack chat room and inform the person up, the person on deck and the person in the hole to be prepared to pick. Until you see that announcement the pick is not official.
The season will begin one week after the draft is complete.
If you have any questions not covered here please let me know.